Link to Corrandulla Church
Webcam now available at;
Saturdays : 7:00 pm
Sundays : 11:00 am
Tuesdays : 7:00 pm
Fridays : 7:00 pm
Social distancing, wearing of masks and sanitising of hands must be observed.
Volunteers are needed for all church activities.
If you feel you can assist with stewarding, reading, eucharistic ministering, church flowers etc, please contact the Parish Office.
Extract from Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
Samuel Lewis 1837
ANNAGHDOWN or ENAGHDUNE, a parish,
in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province
of CONNAUGHT, 7 1/2 miles (N.) from Galway on the road
from Galway to Headford; containing 6093 inhabitants.
This parish is bounded on the west by Lough Corrib,
and comprises 16,508 statute acres, as applotted under
the tithe act. It is a place of considerable antiquity,
and was formerly the seat of an independent bishoprick,
of which some notice will be found in the account of the
archiepiscopal see of Tuam, with which it has for centuries
been incorporated. St Brendan of Clonfert built a
nunnery here under the invocation of the Blessed Virgin,
for his sister Briga, which, in 1195, was confirmed by Pope
Celestine III, toghther with the town of Kelgel, to nuns
of the Arroasian order: at the suppression it was granted
to the Earl of Clanricarde. An abbey, dedicated to St.
Mary, and called the abbey of St. Mary de portu patrum,
was founded at an early period for White Premonstratensian
canons; and here was a Franciscan friary, the
head of a custody, to which the monasteries of Connaught
and Ulster were subordinate. There was also
another religious house called the College of St. Brendan,
in which four priests or vicars were supported, and
which was not subjected to royal inquisition until the
28th of Elizabeth; and at Kilcoonagh, in the vicinity,
was an abbey, which Tipraid, Prince of Hy Fiacria,
granted to St Colunb, who placed over it St Cuannan,
from whom it derived its name. The seats are Cregg
Castle, that of Fras. Blake, Esq., and Waterdale, of Jas.
Blake, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of
Tuam, to which those of Killascobe and Lackagh are
episcopally united, and in the patronage of the
Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in John Kirwan, Eaq.
The tithes amount to £553.16.11 1/4., of which £139.9.3
is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the
incumbent; nad of the entire union, to £675.9.4 3/4.
The church is a small neat building, for the erection of
which the late Board of First Fruits gave £500, in 1798.
The glebe-house was also built by aid of a gift of £350
and a loan of £450, in 1818 from the same Board: the
glebe comprises 20 acres. The R.C. parish is co-extensive
with that of the Established Church: the
chapel is at Corondola, and divine service is also regularly
performed in a school-house at Woodpark. Schools at
Annaghdown and Woodpark were each endowed with
£100 late currency by the Rev. Redmond Hardagan, for
the gratuitous instruction of 30 children in each; about
160 children are at present taught in these schools.
There are also six hedge schools, in which are about
300 children; and a Sunday school is supported by